Buchenwald ("Beech Forest") was established in 1937 to provide forced labor for armament factories near Weimar, Germany. The main and sub camps were in operation until liberation by the US Army in 1945. Being in the Soviet occupation zone, it was turned into a Soviet Concentration Camp for German prisoners until it was turned over to the East German government in 1950.  Link.