Concentration camp near Celle, Germany, not far from Hanover. Originally built as a military training camp in 1935, it was converted to a POW camp in 1939 and then a concentration camp in 1943. It had a reputation as one of the less harsh camps. However the Nazi regime, due to the approaching Red Army, began to re-locate prisoners there from the eastern camps in 1945. The camp, capable of housing only about 7,000, soon had some 60,000 inmates and was unable to cope. Near-starvation rations allowed typhus, typhoid fever, and dysentery to become epidemic. When it was liberated by the British in April 1945, just a few weeks before the end of the war, a major health catastrophe was already in progress with 400-500 prisoners dying daily. Frantic attempts were made to provide emergency care, including the posting of volunteer medical students from Britain. A number of these volunteers died from the diseases they had come to treat. About 14,000 prisoners died after liberation, many from well-meaning attempts to provide them solid food. In the end, structures were razed by burning and corpses were buried in mass graves.  Link